Riverside Burn Injury AttorneyRequest Free Consultation
Burn injuries are often serious and can be devastating. These injuries require extensive, specialized treatment and care, and recovery may take many months. Some burns cause permanent disfigurement, which can lead to emotional scarring that lasts long after the physical wounds heal. If you or a loved one recently suffered burns as the result of someone else’s negligence, you have legal options. Learn what to do after a burn accident in Riverside and reach out to our team of personal injury lawyers in Riverside about your case.
What are the Main Types of Burns?
The World Health Organization estimates that 180,000 people lose their lives each year in burn-related incidents. The most common places for burns are at home or in the workplace. The vast majority of burns are preventable. There are several different types of burns, which include:
- Scalding. Burns that arise from contact with hot water or steam are scalds. Scalding may occur in a workplace accident, from defective stovetops or even from bathwater that’s too hot (this type of injury is more common in young children).
- Hot solids. Also called contact burns, these result from touching anything that’s too hot. These may result from workplace negligence or defective products.
- Open flames. Burns can arise from contact with open flame. The most common causes are house fires, but they may also result from occupational hazards or car crashes.
- Chemical burns. Chemical burns may result from working with dangerous chemicals, although the hazard might not be immediately obvious. Timely intervention is essential to minimize tissue damage.
- Electrical burns. Although rare, electrical burns from lightning, faulty wiring, or stun guns can present complex problems with regard to wound care. Electrical burns often involve more than just the skin, and electrical currents can travel though the body to affect muscles, organs, and other tissues.
How Do They Measure Burn Severity?
Standard medical care divides burns into different levels of severity and their associated treatment. There are three distinct levels, which include:
- First-degree burns. These are superficial burns, usually only damaging the top layer of skin. For example, a sunburn is technically a first-degree burn. Symptoms may include peeling skin and redness, and treatments involve lotions and cold compresses. Despite their mild nature, they can still be extremely painful.
- Second-degree burns. These burns are more comprehensive and affect the underlying tissues. Scalding and contact burns often result in second-degree injuries. Treatment is also more comprehensive, as medical professionals keep the area covered to prevent infection and victims often must take antibiotics.
- Third-degree burns. These are the most serious types of burns, but they’re not painful. Third-degree burns destroy the nerve endings beneath the skin, and the skin itself may appear black or gray. These can be life-threatening injuries and may require skin grafting, fluids to prevent dehydration, antibiotics to prevent infection, and ongoing therapy to restore mobility and the ability to complete activities of daily living.
Where can I go in Riverside to Treat a Burn Injury?
It’s extremely important to seek medical attention as soon as possible after receiving a burn. There are several great places that will assist with your burn injury. One is the Burn Center at the Arrowhead Regional Medical Center. They are located at the following address: 400 N Pepper Ave, Colton, CA 92324. You can call them at the following phone number: 909-580-1000.
Another good option is the Riverside Community Hospital that’s located here: 4445 Magnolia Ave, Riverside, CA 92501. Their phone number is (951) 788-3000
Contact our Riverside Burn Injury Lawyers Today!
Burn injuries can be both painful to endure and expensive to treat. If your burns resulted from someone else’s negligence, you may be able to gain compensation for your medical bills, pain, and loss in life quality. For a free review of your legal options, please contact our team at Panish | Shea | Ravipudi LLP in Riverside, CA today! (951) 363-2410