Oakland Truck Accident AttorneyRequest Free Consultation
Large commercial trucks play a vital role in the economies of Oakland in the surrounding areas. However, these vehicles can cause devastation in the event they collide with traditional passenger cars on the roadway. At Panish | Shea | Ravipudi LLP, we are here to help if you need an Oakland truck accident attorney by your side. If the careless or negligent actions of a truck driver or trucking company have caused your injuries, let us help you secure the compensation you need to get through this difficult time period.
Why Choose Our Firm for a Truck Accident Claim?
- At Panish | Shea | Ravipudi LLP, we commit to providing a client-centered approach to every case that we take. Our clients will always be able to access their attorney to ask any questions or raise concerns.
- The attorneys at our firm together have secured more than $10 billion in personal injury settlements and jury verdicts for clients over the years.
- Our team has continuously been recognized for excellence by other attorneys, legal organizations, and national publications, including being ranked by U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® as a “Tier 1” Firm in the areas of Plaintiffs Personal Injury Litigation.
Why Are Oakland Truck Crashes so Devastating?
When we look at data available from the Federal Highway Administration, we can see that commercial trucks can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds when they are fully loaded. Additionally, these vehicles can reach lengths of up to 75 feet. This is a massive size and weight discrepancy between traditional passenger cars on the roadway, meaning that any collision could result in devastating consequences for those inside these smaller vehicles.
Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for the Oakland truck accident lawyers at Panish | Shea | Ravipudi LLP to help clients who have sustained the following injuries as a result of these incidents:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries with paralysis
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Amputation injuries
- Crush injuries
- Severe lacerations or puncture wounds
- Significant scarring or disfigurement
In addition to the traumatic injuries that occur as a result of large truck accidents, we know that victims can suffer from significant emotional and psychological trauma as well. Our goal is to make sure that clients recover compensation for the visible traumatic injuries they sustain as well as the unseen emotional and psychological injuries that can significantly impact their daily lives.
Will the Trucking Company Be Held Liable?
Truck accidents can happen for a wide variety of reasons and can even be the fault of drivers inside passenger vehicles. However, it is not uncommon for these accidents to be caused by the actions of a negligent truck driver or trucking company.
In the event an accident is caused by the actions of the commercial truck driver, the trucking company will likely be liable, so long as the driver was carrying out their job-related duties when the crash occurred. Some of the most common negligent driver causes of these crashes include the following:
- Operating while impaired by drugs or alcohol
- Operating while distracted by a phone or another device
- Failing to follow basic traffic laws, including failing to yield the right of way
- Operating too fast for conditions
- Failing to adequately secure the cargo
- Carrying cargo above the weight capacity allowed
- Not following the hours of service requirements set forth by the FMCSA
In addition to these driver-related causes of truck crashes, the trucking companies could hold direct liability for these incidents. Some other common causes of truck accidents include companies:
- Failing to regularly inspect and maintain the vehicles
- Not enforcing FMCSA driver hour requirements
- Allowing the trucks to be overloaded with cargo
- Not conducting proper background checks on drivers
- Failing to adequately train new drivers
How Will an Attorney Help an Oakland Truck Crash Case?
Trucking companies, their insurance carriers, and their legal teams will put up a fight when it comes to paying out compensation after these accidents. However, when crash victims secure assistance from a truck accident lawyer in Oakland, they will have an advocate by their side.
An attorney will be able to use their resources to conduct a complete independent investigation into the accident in order to determine liability. This will include examining:
- Truck company personnel and safety records
- The truck’s electronic control module (ECM)
- The truck driver’s electronic logging device (ELD)
- Photo or video surveillance of the incident
- Mobile device data
- Statements from eyewitnesses
- The police report
With all this information, an attorney can engage in vigorous negotiations with insurance carriers and legal teams in order to recover the compensation their client needs.
Time Limit to File an Oakland Truck Accident Lawsuit?
It is crucial for truck accident victims to file these personal injury lawsuits on time. The California personal injury statute of limitations is two years from the date an accident occurs. If a crash victim fails to file a lawsuit against the truck driver or company within this two-year time frame, they will likely lose the ability to recover the compensation they are entitled to.
Additionally, the insurance carriers involved in these cases will have very strict reporting deadlines, often within a day or two after a crash occurs. If you fail to file an insurance claim within this short timeframe, the insurance company could delay or deny the claim altogether.
Contact an Oakland Truck Accident Attorney Today
If you or somebody you love has been injured in an accident involving a commercial truck in the Oakland area, you may be entitled to significant compensation. If the careless or negligent actions of the truck driver or trucking company caused the crash, the team at Panish | Shea | Ravipudi LLP is standing by to help you today. We have the resources necessary to investigate every aspect of these claims, and we will not stop until you receive the compensation you are entitled to for your losses. We believe in holding trucking companies responsible for any negligent action that causes their trucks to crash and injure others on the roadway. When you need an Oakland truck accident attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here to fill out our contact form or calling us at (310) 477-1700.